Saturday, September 3, 2011

Planes, Trains, and Automobiles

It's one thing when you watch the movie.  It is something else entirely when you live it.  I left the house on the 9-2 and drove to Amarillo to catch my first leg of the international flight to Kiev.  When Pastor Don, a friend of mine from Washington D.C., came to visit; I was appologizing for our small airport and he said, "No, you don't understand.  This is like and executive Airport.  No lines. You just go right through."  He has a way of putting things into perspective for me.  So, I left from the executive airport there in Amarillo and it was easy.  It is nice that they book my bags all the way through to Kiev.

So, I get to Houston and forgot to call my mother back before I left (and it's her birthday, I won't hear the end of that). Hi Mom!  And I had a little bit of a layover in Houston.  We took off on time at 4:00 p.m.  Now if you are of the conservitive nature you might want to skip to the next paragraph.  We had dinner on the plane about 6:00 p.m. and I have not been feeling well on day.  So, I got a glass of white whine to help settle my stomach and help me sleep (It's scriptural people, look it up).  And sure enough about 7:00 I was out.  I slept for a solid 4 hours, which for me on a plane is a big deal.  If you know anything about international travel: you always loose your night hours.  So, it is important to get as much sleep as possible to help your body adjust to the new time zone.

We get to Frankfert right on time and I have an hour layover which is perfect.  I find my gate and head to the bathroom to wash my face.  I have been traveling now for 16 hours straight.  We get on the plane headed to Kiev and we are delayed due to some people and luggage problems, but the seat they have me in is directly over the cargo door for all the luggage, and so I pray, "Lord, it would really cool if I could see my luggage being loaded onto the plan.  And sure enough,  A new trailer pulls up and I watch both my suitcases get eaten by the planes belly.  Good stuff.  I didn't by anyone on any flight that spoke conversational English.  So, I haven't said more than two words to people all day long.  I keep reminding myself that Americans are loud and it causes me not to stand up and yell, "Does anybody speak English."  I figure the Lord is saving my voice or my testimony for another time.

I arive in Kiev about 20 minutes late but that is no big deal.  I was going to have to wait on Ron's assistant Tayna anyway.  She has been riding a bus all day to meet me at the airport so that she can lead me on the Lugansk.  Luckly the airport had free internet (which is new) and I was able to call Ron and let him know that I had arived and where I was waiting to meet up with Tayna.  It all worked out well I was only waiting for about 15 minutes we she showed up.  She says she is starving and we need some food before our bus departs at 5:30 that evening, which is a few hours away.  So we get aquanted around some pizza in the airport and she tells me that I am like all the other professors showing pictures of my wife and kids.  What can I say, I'm proud of them.

We board the bus, that is late and Tayna informs me that this is about a 15 hour bus ride and we will be there in the morning.  I have already been traveling 24 soild hours.  My american side started to kick in and say, "Isn't there a faster way. This has got to be poor planning."  But as I was running the sinario through my "fix it" brain I remembered the last plane ride I had from Kiev to the interior (the Indiana Jones story many of you have heard) and I realize this is just what it takes to get where I'm going.  So, off we got into the bumpy but steady ride to Lugansk.  We arrive after watching the sun come up again at 7:00 in the morning Sunday morning.  Our ride is not there and after an hour and me preaching to Tayna about the need for patience, we are finally picked up by a man named Victor.  He takes us to his home and shows us where we can get some rest.

At this point I am excited about two things: Food in my belly and my head on the pillow.  So, after a quick run to the grocery store I was able to take a shower while breakfast was being prepared.  And while I am drying off Tayna yell's through the door.  Are you ready to preach this morning?  I said, "Of course I'm ready to preach."  she replied, "You Are?"  to which I replied, "I'm a preacher!  That's what I do."  So the pillow will have to wait.  We got to Church that has been converted from a old house (very common in this part of the world) and had a great service as the pastor preached a wonderful message on sanctification and I followed it up with a message on the love relationship with the Lord.  We got back to Victor's about 1:30 and it wasn't long after until I was finally getting a much needed Sunday afternoon nap.  The Church here is excited for the class tomorrow and I know the Church at home is praying, so I know it will be a good class.

No comments:

Post a Comment