Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Attention Class

I had spent quite a bit of time and effort this summer making sure I was ready and prepared for this upcoming discipleship class in Lugansk.  I completely reworked all my notes to enclude basicly all I have learned about discipleship over the past 15 years (I'm sure it will be a book some day).  Because of this preparedness I did have to run around like crazy on the first day of class making sure all was in order.  Tanya, my assistant and administrator for the class, and I were able to run some arrands and spend some time getting to know the city around us.  That basicly means looking for places to eat and finding the free WiFi in the area.

It is always exciting to teach in a new area because I know that new relationship will be built that will last for all of eternity.  As the first class session ended (which was basic introductory material) I was feeling a stong connection with the pastors in the class.  We have a class of about 12 to 15 and there are about 10 churches represented in the group.  They are all dealing with the same thing: how to make the Bible come alive in everyday life.  We have had two sessions now and many tears have been shed betwee us as we have discussed the ministry roads God has taken us down. 

Urie, my translator, is pastoring two churches in two different towns and doing some wonderful missions work in the same areas that Fellowship is involved with.  It is so cool to sit and discuss partnering in missions trips outside of Ukraine.  I would ask that you would pray for wisdom and direction as I try to bring Urie and Jacob together next month.  (If you don't know who Jacob is; I could tell you, but then I would...........)  Nevertheless, there is a movement of the Spirit that is happening in that part of the world that is much bigger than just our desire to go.  There are major connections that are happening between me and my new friend and co-laborer.

I am amazed at the fuctionality of the poverty in the area of Lugansk.  What I mean is: I know that no one has any money yet life seems to just go on and everyone lives, breaths, and makes due.  I am afraid if americans found themselves in this situation that they would just sit at home is protest.  I see these guys going to work and working as hard if not harder than anyone in the States but yet they get just a fraction of the compensation.  Its not that the boss is mean, that's just all they have to pay.  One might ask about the cost of living and so forth.  Lets just say that the only house your going to live in is the one you build.  Strangley enough, I don't feel that the people are mad about this way of life, it's just life.  I find myself wanting to be mad for them, but then I realize I'm the one with the chip on my shoulder and I need to change.  And with the way things are headed in America,  we might just find out before to long.

No comments:

Post a Comment