Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Thoughts from the Air

As I'm writing this blog, I'm on my first leg of a four leg plane ride.  But this was not the beginning of my journey today.  I woke up with the rosters (there were literally rosters outside my window), so that I could be ready to take the four hour trip from Revne to Kiev to be two hours early for my international flight.  In 2012 the Euro Games (soccer or Futbal, depending on where your from) is going to be hosted by Ukraine.  This is a blessing to me because in order to host these games they had to get their road ready to recieve the traffic from all over Europe.  One of the first roads that they improved was the stretch from Rivne to Kiev because of nearby Polland.  So, the ride this moring was nice and smooth and we got to the airport in great time.

I'm always amazed how the Lord uses me on these mission trips, and it's always an adventure.  It takes me a while to defrag and wrap my head around all the wonderful opportunities that God has presented.  I made more ministry connections on this trip to Ukraine than what I've ever made before.  This is the first time that God has opened doors to do true missions work around the world with the people of Ukraine and myself.  There is no doubt that the missions program of Fellowship Baptist Church has not only a world wide scope but world wide personel as well.  There are some major opportunities to help in some other places that Ukrainians will be much more effect at accomplishing.  This is not to say that we won't be joining these endevors, but it might mean we can expand the minstry without having to take all the trips ourselves; as well as partnering on some trips and make them truly international. 

On Sunday I will be outlining these opportunities and reporting to the Church on the huge success of this trip.  You won't want to miss it.  And remember it more than likely will not be published due to the sensitive information that we will be discussing so make sure you are in your place.  I have pictures to share and name to remember not only for Sunday, but truly for the rest of my life.

I've been able to keep up to some degree through email with the activities going on at home which seem to be just as busy as I was overseas.  I'm so proud of the ownership level that our Church body is willing to take on so that we can further the gospel around the world.  I can understand now the feelings that Paul must have had when he looked at Barnabus and said, "Let's go see how the churches are doing."  When you pour your life into a place it's hard to keep it off your mind and heart.  You want to protect the investment and watch it grow and I believe I'm seeing some real growth and expantion in Ukraine.

The one thing that completely took me off guard was the personal relationships that I formed on this trip.  I expect to meet people, no doubt, but to feel the love in my heart for people like Victor and Marina that took care of me in Lugansk or Tanya that administrated the class there.  I feel like a gained family members.  I'm hoping Tanya gets the opportunity to come and visit us in the States.  She has expressed the desire to do some missions work around the world and I believe that the Lord has brought us together for that reason.  You will be hearing more about her as we go forward.  I also met a Ukrainian Man that is missions work and is the pastor of two Churches there.  He also travels to the same part of the world that I do for some front line missions work.  I am sure that he will be someone we partner with in the future.

Two weeks into the trip I went to Zdubolnev and Rivne to work with some Churches that I have taught through the College in the past few years and again God showed himself to be mighty.  When I arrived the Pastors wanted me to talk with a young woman named Lena, or Helen in English, that has been in the process of making a decission to follow Christ.  As we met with the 17 year old girl I was immediatly impressed with her confidence and strength of character (not a trait uncommon among Ukrainian young women).  We talked about the basic meaning of becoming a follower of the Lord and she was very polite and even was willing to speak English with me.  As we got up for Church the next moring I realized that Lena was a neighbor to the family that was keeping me.  They had invited her to breakfast to translate for me and the family (a real treat and blessing).  As we got to Church Lena pulled me aside and said, "Mr. Sizemore,  I have been thinking a lot about what you were saying last night and I want you to know that I have truly decided to follow Christ and make him the Lord of my life."  I couldn't have been any happier.  I know that God has been bringing many witnesses into Lena's life, but I felt very prividged to be another one.  She came to the class that I taught on evangelism and helped me with the family all week long.  Again, God had formed a friendship that I didn't expect.  You can find Lena and Tanya both on my facebook friends.  I think it would be so cool if some of you would give them words of encouragement from the Lord.

I realize this is a long blog entry but you must understand that this is just a quick summary of how God had molded my life through this trip to Ukriane.  I feel revived and refreshed.  The Lord knew exactly what I needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment