Thursday, June 7, 2012

A Family of Faith

Every time someone has called to ask me about us stepping out on faith, the question is asked, "How is your family handling this?"  I am so blessed to have a wife and two girls that not only know the Lord but are sensitive to his moving and call.  The voice of the Lord is kinda like love: When you know you just know.  On Mother's day, Kim and I were sitting watching TV and I just looked at her and said.  The Lord is moving us.  I had been dealing with the voice of the Lord for a few days and Kim had asked me at lunch how similar this calling was to the one I received to move to Borger.  When she asked me that I just began to weep because I knew it was the exact same voice.

That evening we jumped on the xbox and video chatted with Mom and Dad and the rest of the family in Atlanta and they were just as excited as they could be.  The girls were at the youth class so I couldn't tell them yet.  I called Shawn and Mickey to the house and told them and we cried together and then shared in some comforting words, as I told him I believed that he was ready.  Then the girls came home.  I didn't anticipate how hard it was going to be to tell them we were moving from the only place they have ever called home.  Katie was 5 years old when we moved here, and Kellie was only 2.  Kellie has told me that her first memory was us pulling up in the drive way of our first house here in Borger.  Needless to say about half way in to the words coming out of my mouth, I got very uneasy about how this deal was about to go down.  For a split second I thought, "They're going to hate my guts. I took a big gulp and finished my spill, and then just stared at them as they stared back at me.  Then with tears in their eyes they agreed, "if this is what God is doing, it will be alright."  I'm not saying they were rocks because I defiantly through them a curve ball, but all in all I was so proud of them. 

We immediately had to address the issue of Katie being a Senior next year.  She said "I don't want to move!" and I assured her that was a decision I would let her make.  I just asked her to pray about it and we would trust the Lord for whatever he told her. (She's still praying about it.)  Kellie was having mixed emotions about the whole deal.  She is a lot like me and loves to try new things and see new places, but know she had some relationships that were going to be hard to give up.  I guess the thing that impressed me the most is that everybody in the family was willing to follow the leading of the Lord in our lives.  There is no bitterness or anger.  There is a bit of anxiety, but that is to be expected in any life changing situation.  We have learned that you are always happiest when you are right in the middle of God's will, and I believe that is right where we are.

I, being the control freak that I am, was even surprised at myself because I haven't been without a job since I was 16 except for a 3 month transition when I switched colleges.  But I just know that God has got this all figured out, and to have my family stand with me in faith is a priceless treasure.  If God be God then serve him, If Bail be God then serve him, but as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment