Friday, January 16, 2015

Why Another Church

I was running errands yesterday and I couldn't help but notice all the church buildings on every corner.  I live in Paulding County GA where the majority of the population never steps foot inside any of these places of worship. I have two thoughts on all these churches.  First, If your preaching the exact same message and targeting the exact same people, join up with the guy across the street and cut down on some the expense of running both places.  Second, if you have a building that seats 600 and your running 30, it time to change your strategy.  

In the midst of all these church buildings some would ask me, "Bill, why start another church in an area full of churches."  My answer come from Andy Stanley's book "Visioneering" (a must read for all church planters and pastors).  He states, "A God-ordained vision will begin with concern.  You will hear something that gets your attention."  God has gotten my attention over the last few years of this fact.  The people of God do not walk by faith anymore.  This breaks my heart for without faith it is impossible to please God.  If the church is not going to teach God's people to walk by faith we set them up for failure with God.

The vision statement for Reliant is:

Producing Jesus follower of faith that will expand the kingdom of God 
by their witness and His Word. 

We used the word "producing" on purpose to show the ongoing action of discipleship in the lives of the believers.  They will not only follower Jesus but will learn to follow him by faith.  This is the major lesson that Jesus pounded into the heads of the disciples.  His goal was to have them walking by faith by the time He ascended knowing that they could handle anything if they were walking in faith.

As I walk this journey of faith with the Lord my prayer is that I can be a shining example for others to walk by faith along side me.  Stay tuned.  

Join the journey by helping us get started.  Give Here  

No comments:

Post a Comment