Tuesday, March 13, 2012

North Dakota University Rocks

I can't believe it's the middle of March already.  I was looking at my blog activity and realized that I haven't posted since before Christmas.  Wow!!  Then I looked at the activity and noticed that many of you are visiting my blog.  Well, I'm not dead.  All is well in Borger.  God has been doing some amazing (I mean miraculous) things in the Church and with our new Recovery Center.

For those of you that don't know, last November we purchased a building and began to renovate it to become the first Recovery Center in Borger for Drug and Alcohol addition.  The whole town has been excited to see the progress of the center. Let me share one of the miracles that I am talking about.  A few months ago out of the blue, I received a call from a college student from North Dakota University.  He began to share with me opportunity for some 40 college students to come and work on the Recovery Center as a spring break project.  I was beside myself. He explained how they were taking a tour to "pay it forward" and was going to be passing through Borger.  He had called the Chamber of Commerce and asked if there were any worthy projects in Borger of which they could be a part.  The Chamber told them about the Center and gave them the Church's number and we began to make plans for them to come.

On Sunday (March 11th) a big tour bus rolls up to the Church and 40 eager college students exit the bus with smiles on their faces ready to work.  After sleeping on the floor in the basement of the Church they got up on Monday morning and took the Recovery Center by storm.  by 9:30 they had almost the entire center painted.  They then began to cut in all the walls and trim, as well as, clean up all the outside.  They cleaned dishes and installed appliances; all with love and care as if it were their own center. I was so proud of them.

By the time they left at 12:30, I felt as if I had gained some new friends and advocates for the work we are doing here in Borger.  They loaded up and headed for their next job and blessing in Roswell, New Mexico.  God speed and thank you North Dakota University.  May we learn from their example of what it means to give of ourselves for the betterment of others, and may we also "pay it forward."

No comments:

Post a Comment