Friday, September 19, 2014

Do you know the Bible?

I remember back when I was 18 and went into a Christian bookstore in downtown Spring Texas. I had never studied the Bible before but I knew that it was time for me to start. I had been in Sunday School and Church all my life and heard countless sermons and lessons on the principles of Christianity. But there was no way I could defend the Bible or even my own beliefs. As I stood looking at the books "like a deer in head lights," I noticed a book entitled "Current Events in Prophecy." I had always heard that Jesus was coming back soon, but I couldn't tell you why or what was going on. So I bought it and devoured it. And that is what started a life time of Bible study that is still going on today.

I come across so many people that are just like I was. They don't know the Bible for themselves. They have been listening to people for years tell them what the Bible says, but have never had the experience of the Holy Spirit burning something in their heart. I remember times on my journey through the scriptures when the Holy Spirit was so present in the room that it caused me to fall down and worship. It was as if the Holy Spirit was leaning over my shoulder saying, "Let me show you something you have never seen before."

When you have these kinds of encounters with the Lord you don't want to leave. You don't want it to end! I can understand why Moses spent so much time on the mount talking with God. I too have had those mountain top experiences. I believe anyone that desires to know God in a real and intimate way can have these moments with the Lord as well. So many say they want it, but are unwilling to put in the time to be with God in a meaningful way.

"I don't have time!" I have heard this excuse all my life and have even used it from time to time. I remember the hard times and many years that I got up at 5:00am every morning to have two solid hours of Bible Study before I went to work at Bank of America. Now that I work at the Church full time, I can get up at 5:30am instead of 5:00am. Yes, I still have to be disciplined if I want that time in the Word and with my Lord.

September 24th we start all our Bible classes at New Season Church. Don't let anything keep you from having your mountain top experiences. God is ready to meet with you. He has no excuses for you. If you show up, He will blow you away. See you next Wednesday.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment